What is the Symptom of the Laptop Screen Inverter Malfunction
Do you have a problem with the backlight on your laptop? If yes, you are not alone, that’s one of the most common laptop problems. In most cases the screen inverter is the culprit. Here are some LCD screen backlight failure symptoms that could be related to a bad inverter board:
- Laptop boots as usual but after some time the screen blacks out. You still can see an image on the screen but it’s very dim. You might even use a flashlight to see it better. Sometimes the backlight comes back for a while but then goes off again. In some cases you can turn the backlight on if you tap rapidly on the lid close switch.
- The screen always stay black and the backlight never comes on but you still can make out an image on the LCD. It’s dark, but the image is still there.
-In some cases you might hear a buzzing noise coming from the area where the inverter board is located, it’s on the bottom part of the display assembly.
NOTE: if you cannot see an image on the screen (not even very dim image), most likely you have a different problem and there is nothing wrong with the screen inverter.
How to Replace a Laptop Screen Inverter - Universal Instruction
Replacing a laptp LCD inverter will require some finesse, you can refer your laptop manual or maintenance guide if you have. If you don’t have it, the below universal summary may be helpful, but some details may be not the same.
1. Prepare a correct replacement. If you are not sure which one is correct, please contact us.
2. Unplug your laptop and remove the battery pack and laptop ac adapter.
3. Locate the rubber screw covers around your laptop screen. There are typically four, but some models may have more.
4. Remove the screw covers. Take care not to lose any. They pop off and, if you are not careful, could go flying.
5. Place your fingers between the front bezel (the plastic piece around the LCD screen) and the screen. Gently work your way around the screen to remove the front bezel and expose the screen assembly.
6. Remove the inverter from the screen assembly. It is held on by tape in most models. In some models inverter may be right at the bottom of the screen assembly, below the actual LCD. Other models have the inverter behind the screen. To disassemble the screen, you will need to either unscrew the screen from its metal holder, or just lift the screen out to expose the inverter.
7. Disconnect the wires leading from the LCD Inverter. One wire goes to the backlight, while the other goes to the video card.
8. Connect the video wire and the backlight wire into the new laptop inverter and affix it using the tape that held the original in place. If you do not have that tape anymore, or it has lost its adhesiveness, you can buy more from computer parts retailers.
9. Put the screen back in place if you need to, and snap the front bezel back on.
10. Screw the front bezel screws back in, and place the screw covers back in place.